Saturday, August 3, 2013

Oceans and Beaches

shippingcontainerfamily.blogspot.com


I’ve got high hopes for this coming homeschool year. We are ‘gonna be ON. THE. BALL. I’m committed this year to lots of ideas too. Ideas like “staying on schedule” or “returning our library books on time.”

Just kidding. I haven’t even ordered the curriculum yet.

And our self-imposed first week of homeschool year begins Monday. 

Clearly I have procrastinated.

Therefore, I have hurriedly thrown together an emergency mini unit study to hold us over until I win an Ebay auction or bite the bullet and order new curriculum FULL PRICED from the catalog. It’s a beach/ocean theme using links for free printables, materials from the library, and free internet resources.

It can be used for about a week of study, or I supposed it could be stretched on and on with the ocean unit links included.

 Oceans and Beaches

Currently this unit is geared toward my four year old (kindergarten), and six year old (1st grade). Also, the books are really only based on what’s available at my small local library right now –surprisingly, not much. There are SO many other great books on ocean life out there!

I’ve got a few shelves full of random math workbooks, early readers, and living books that we’re also working with that aren’t ocean themed. That’s why this unit is missing a lot of math activities. Google it or get creative to fill in the blanks!

 Why did I choose the ocean? Well we’ll be packing up next weekend for a couple of days on the Texas coast. Complete with aquarium visit.

 Let’s call it a field trip. ;)


3 comments:

  1. Good for you! Taking the bull, I mean, homeschool by the horns and tackling it head on, no matter what you might be getting yourself into!
    We've had more than 1 school year when we were living out of moving boxes, or boxing it all up for yet another move.
    Using what you have available, learning something (anything!) each day means they aren't standing still. That's education.
    Enjoy your kick off unit and have a great time visiting the coast - what a great field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Linda! You're very encouraging.
    I am excited to get the year started up, even if things aren't perfect. And it seems we're always spending the first weeks fine tuning our style anyway. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I'd known you were doing Ocean. We did a whole unit on this when I taught first grade. So much fun! If you're ever in need of some ideas to supplement with your studies, let me know. I'd be happy to offer any ideas I used when I taught 1st grade.

    ReplyDelete